Construction of the Basoga Nsadhu Memorial Technical Institute, Namutumba
MetadataShow full item record
Basoga Nsadhu memorial technical institute is one of the nine vocational technical institutes that were set up in the different regions of Uganda. These institutions were set up to rekindle the knowledge of existence of vocational institutions to the people of Uganda, thus promoting vocational studies. The construction of these technical institutions was a move by the government of Uganda through the Ministry of Education (MoE) to rescue the deteriorating number of technicians produced by vocational institutions in the country. In the course of time, vocational education had been side-lined when it came to government funding and general attention, and this directly led to a drop in the delivery of these institutions. After a loud cry from the country’s education analysts following a survey that revealed the tremendous drop in vocational technicians in the country’s youth population, the government decided to embark on a project to set up vocational technical institutions in different regions of the country. To accomplish this lofty vision, the government, not being able to fund the entire project by itself, had to partner with a donor ‘OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID)’ in order realise this vision. OFID funded 87% of the project while the Ugandan government through MoE funded the remaining 13%. Basoga Nsadhu memorial technical institute in particular was set up in Kayiti, Namutumba in Namutumba district to serve eastern Uganda. It offers certificate courses like; Motor vehicle mechanics and Home economics. Other regions of the country were assigned institutions offering different vocational courses. The construction of the Basoga Nsadhu memorial technical institute project was ground broken on the 3rd of December 2014 and was scheduled to reach practical completion by 3rd December 2015. However, the project wasn’t completed in time. The practical completion of the project was only realised 12 months after the initial scheduled practical completion date. In this report, the author gives a detailed account of the construction phase, the challenges that were experienced during this phase, and how they were mitigated.